If You Build a Great Digital Magazine But Don’t Market It, Does It Even Exist?
You’ve put your crack design team to work crafting the ultimate digital magazine experience. You’ve got a seamless, easy to use interface (thanks to mag+); complete with animation, videos and delightful ways for readers to interact with the app. Not to mention, your content sings. It’s just a matter of time before the Pulitzers start rolling in.
But if you haven’t put a solid marketing strategy in place, all your brilliant work is essentially wasted. You’re shouting into a void.
With platform challenges to overcome (such as the demise of Apple’s Newsstand), it’s more critical than ever to have a thorough — or shall we say saturating — approach to marketing your digital magazine.
Here are twelve readership-exploding strategies to get you started.
- List segmentation. Create a separate email list for each area of interest in your magazine. This makes it easier to target readers with specific reading tastes and convert them into subscribers.
- Include a subscription offer in every email. Every email you send should have a prominent digital subscription offer that clearly tells the reader the benefits to subscribing. From now to eternity.
- Affiliate marketing. There are two great ways to use affiliates and not enough publications are doing it. The first is to reward existing subscribers with free issues or subscriptions for every reader they bring in. The second is to work with influencers in your space and give them a cut of new subscriptions. Affiliates are a great tool for finding like-minded people and turning them into subscribers.
- Leverage your Facebook page. Use the “offer” feature on your Facebook page for digital subscriptions and tweak it until it converts like crazy.
- Ads, ads, ads. Run ads on the social media channels most used by your ideal readers. A/B test the snot out of them.
- Have a great offer. Make sure your digital subscription price is so good that it’d be crazy not to say yes. And dangling a free tote bag as bait never hurt. Why should we leave all the swag to print subscribers?
- Native advertising. There’s more than one flavor of native advertising. Use sponsored content, branded content, advertorials or in-feed ads (those “recommended from around the web” type sidebars) on the websites your potential readers love
- Contests & giveaways. Work with sponsors to create great contests and giveaways and heavily promote digital subscriptions in all the promos.
- Offer all types of different subscription options. The digital era is all about options. Why not give your readers a range of subscription choices from a single issue to multi-year subscriptions
- Reach out to lost print subscribers. If you’ve got a corresponding print edition, take the list of people who didn’t renew and send them an offer to try a digital issue free of charge.
- Track and analyze. Track the marketing efforts you’re undertaking and double down on the ones that are working best for you.
- Go big. Bundle a bunch of the strategies above to create a shock and awe approach to a launch or relaunch. If you’re suddenly everywhere, your target audience is sure to take notice.
Spending time, effort and a bit of money on your marketing efforts is the only way to ensure you’ll snag a readership for your wow-worthy content.