A Managed App Update (MAU) is a service in which you let us know what updates (from the list below) you would like to be made to your app shell and we will make the changes, generate a new build (on the most recent mag+ version that is available at the time the service is performed by your mag+ Support Agent), get your approval, and submit to iTunes.
App updates do not include the addition of new issues (see Managed Issue Update here). Also, in-app purchases will only be handled if your app is becoming Universal, you are adding or removing Newsstand functionality, or you are switching between a free and paid subscription.
After approval to submit is received, iOS apps must still go through the standard approval process (which is normally 6-10 business days). We will correct any mag+ bugs to ensure the app is approved, however, we cannot be responsible for any content-related rejections (issues should be tested thoroughly on the latest version of the mag+ tools before being sent to the mag+ team). We will provide support until the app is live.
This document lists and explains both the ‘REQUIRED INFORMATION’ (1-5) and ‘OPTIONAL INFO CHANGES’ (6-33) that we’ll need in order for us to complete the app update for Apple submission.
Please allow one week from the time we receive all functional assets until you receive a test app. Once you approve the test app, we will submit it to Apple within two business days. Please note, we have no control over Apple’s approval process and cannot guarantee a “live” date, but we recommend that you allow at least 14 days from the time we submit to the date you’d like the app to be live.
Although we have hundreds of apps live, we cannot always predict what issues may come up during the Apple review process, as it is often subjective. So while your app could be initially rejected, which would delay the launch, we will work with you to address any issues that arise until you are ultimately live. We strongly suggest you leave as much time as possible before any hard app update release date.
Integration of the Subscription API is not included as part of an MAU. Please contact your fulfillment house to implement the API and your mag+ sales representative with any questions. The Subscription API can be activated as a live option and does not need to be tied to an app release or update.
INTERNAL DISTRIBUTION (ENTERPRISE APPS)
If you will distribute this internally and have an Apple Enterprise Developer account, you do not need to supply numbers 3, 4, 5, 6 (unless you want to limit the devices that can install the Ad Hoc test app), 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17. 18, 19, 25, 26, and 30.
1) Username and password for the iOS Dev Center and iTunes Connect. Please supply us with the “Agent”-level credentials for the account the app is to be published under. If this is an Enterprise app (for internal distribution), please supply us with the“Agent”-level credentials for your iOS Developer Enterprise Program.
2) Are you changing your app from iPhone-only or iPad-only to Universal (can work on both)? Yes or No.
• If “Yes”, numbers 26, 27 and 28 are required for the new device type. Also, number 33 is required for the device being added, but only if you opted to use a help MIB for the existing device.
3) Are you adding or removing Newsstand functionality (please note you will need to offer at least 1 subscription to qualify for Newsstand. It can be free.)? Yes or no and indicate if you are adding or removing.
• If “Yes” and you are adding Newsstand functionality, number 30 (below) is required.
4) Are you adding a subscription to your app? Yes or no.
5) Are you switching between a free/paid subscription model? Yes or no and indicate which model you are switching to.
• If “yes” to 4 or 5 above, please provide the name, length, short description and price of new subscription(s) to be included in the app. Indicate in the description how often issues will be published.
Name: Annual Subscription (75 characters max)
Description: Sign up for an annual subscription! Issues published monthly.
Length: 1 year
Price: $12.99 (price must end in .99)
OPTIONAL INFO CHANGES
6) NEW UDIDs. These are required for all of the iOS devices on which you want to be able to test the app before we submit it to Apple. Visit this article for instructions on how to find your device UDID.
7) NEW RGB color for app accent color. This is used to tint various small UI elements in the app. This includes the scrubber slider, bookmark indicator when reading, the current vertical indicator in scrubber, etc. If you decide not to choose a custom color, then a default “blue” (R79 G158 B201) will be used instead. Click here to see where the accent color is being used within the app.
8) NEW Name of the app as you want it to appear in the App Store (25 characters max). See the “Choose an Effective App Name” section of this article for more information.
9) NEW Name of the app as you want it to appear underneath the icon. Space is limited to about 12-16 characters.
10) NEW Price of the app in the App Store. This can either be free or have a price associated with it (price must end in .99). Please note this is in reference to the “app shell”, and not the content within it.
11) NEW Description of the app as you want it to appear in your iTunes Store. We recommend browsing the App Store for examples. If you are offering subscriptions in the app, this has to be described in the app description (see the example in this post).
12) NEW Copyright. The name of the person or entity that owns the exclusive rights to your app, preceded by the year the rights were obtained (for example, “© 2008 Acme Inc.”). Please note this cannot be a URL.
13) NEW Occurrence of any violence, nudity or graphic content in issues. Answers to these questions will affect your app store rating. For more information on this, see the “Ratings: Advice for Your Customers” section from this page.
For each following content description answer ‘None’, ‘Infrequent/ Mild’ or ‘Frequent/ Intense’:
• Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
• Realistic Violence
• Prolonged Graphic or Sadistic Realistic Violence
• Profanity or Crude Humor
• Mature/Suggestive Themes
• Horror/Fear Themes
• Medical/Treatment Information
• Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or Reference
• Simulated Gambling
• Sexual Content or Nudity
• Graphical Sexual Content and Nudity
For each following content description, answer YES or NO:
• Unrestricted Web Access (For apps that permit navigating and viewing web pages, for example with an embedded browser). To learn more about Unrestricted Web Access, see this article.
• Gambling and Contest
14) Does your app contain, display, or access third-party content?
• If YES, do you have all necessary rights to that content or are you otherwise permitted to use it under the laws of each App Store territory in which your app will be available?
• If NO, please note that Apple states: “To use third party content, you must have all necessary rights to that content or be entitled to use it under the laws of each App Store territory in which your app is available”.
To learn more about the App Store guidelines, see this article.
15) NEW Contact info. The person in your organization who should be contacted if the App Review team has any questions or needs additional information.
• First Name
• Last Name
• Email Address
• Phone Number
16) NEW Support URL. A URL with support information for your app that will be visible on the App Store. Please note this can be the contact page or support page from your website if you do not create a specific one for the app. In addition, it must be a live URL (not under construction) and needs to have a contact form (or email) included in a prominent and clearly visible spot on the page.
18) NEW Keywords These are your app’s iTunes search terms. Please note that this list should be comma separated, does not require spaces between terms, and is limited to 100 characters (including commas and any spaces used).
19) NEW Category. Please choose a primary category in which you would like your app to appear. One secondary category is optional (if your app is not on Newsstand, you can choose a secondary category from the same list if you want). However, please note that we highly advise against choosing “Book” as a category (ask support rep for details):
• Food & Drink
• Health & Fitness
• Photo & Video
• Social Networking
In the case of a Newsstand app, your secondary category is automatically set to “Newsstand” and you have the option of one subcategory from the list below:
• Arts & Photography
• Brides & Weddings
• Business & Investing
• Children’s Magazines
• Computers & Internet
• Cooking, Food & Drink
• Crafts & Hobbies
• Electronics & Audio
• Fashion & Style
• Health, Mind & Body
• Home & Garden
• Literary Magazines & Journals
• Men’s Interest
• Movies & Music
• News & Politics
• Outdoors & Nature
• Parenting & Family
• Professional & Trade
• Regional News
• Sports & Leisure
• Travel & Regional
• Women’s Interest
20) ADD/REMOVE Live button? The Live menu opens up a web browser window in the app from the menu. If you want this option, provide us with the URL you want the window to open to. Note this cannot be an online shop or other site that promotes digital subscription sales outside of iTunes App Store. The URL can be changed as a live option, but the presence of the button cannot.
21) ENABLE/DISABLE Sharing? The sharing option gives your readers the option to send a screenshot of the current page and a designated link via email, Twitter, or Facebook. If you choose to yes, please provide a default URL (if none provided, a link to your app in the App Store will be used). For verticals with a specific URL assigned in the InDesign plug-in, the URL will be honored and the default will not be used.
22) ADD/CHANGE Analytics type? Please provide your provider of choice (Flurry, Localytics, or Omniture) and the analytics key for the chosen service (and tracking server if Omniture). The key is available after signing up for an account and adding your app through one of these services. For more information on our analytics provider options, see this article.
23) ADD/CHANGE Featured Content? Indicate if you want to feature the latest issue (updates automatically), a specific issue (which one), or a specific subscription (which one). See this article for more information.
24) CHANGE Startup screen? Please select which screen to open at first launch (or after ‘force closing‘ an app):
• My Account
25) CHANGE App Preview? A short video about your app that users can watch in the App Store. See this link for more information.
• (M4V, MP4, or MOV, under 500 MB)
26) 1 to 5 NEW Screenshots for the App Store? If yes, please supply 1-5 max (for each device), PNG format, in the RGB color space, and at least 72 DPI. Please note it is easiest to gather them by taking screengrabs on your iPad and iPhone while reviewing the MIB. In addition, landscape versions are acceptable as well.
• For iPhone only apps: 640×960 px, 640×1136 px, 750×1334 px, and 1242×2208 px required
• For iPad only apps: either 768×1024 px OR 1536×2048 px required
• For Universal apps: 640×960 px, 640×1136 px, 750×1334 px, 1242×2208 and either 768×1024 px OR 1536×2048 px required
27) NEW Application icon? If yes, please supply as PNG format, in the RGB color space, and at least 72 DPI. In addition, please note that these need to be supplied without rounded corners, as Apple creates those automatically.
• 120×120 px (required for iPhone or Universal apps only)
• 152×152 px
• 180×180 px (required for iPhone or Universal apps only)
• 1024×1024 px
28) NEW Portrait launch image? If yes, please supply as PNG format, in the RGB color space, and at least 72 DPI. This is the image that will show when the app is started with the device in portrait.
• 640×960 px (required for iPhone or Universal apps only)
• 640×1136 px (required for iPhone or Universal apps only)
• 750×1334 px (required for iPhone or Universal apps only)
• 1242×2208 px (required for iPhone or Universal apps only)
• 1536×2048 px
29) NEW Landscape launch image? If yes, please supply as PNG format, in the RGB color space, and at least 72 DPI. This is the image that will show when the app is started with the device in landscape position (iPad only).
• 2208×1242 px (optional for iPhone 6 Plus)
• 2048×1536 px (optional for iPad)
30) NEW Generic Cover? If yes, please supply as PNG format, in the RGB color space, and at least 72 DPI. This is only required if your app will be Newsstand-enabled. It will be displayed in the Newsstand by default when Apple is unable to retrieve the most recently Published cover and no issues have been downloaded. Apple requires that it look like a cover without being an actual cover. We recommend placing your logo in the same spot as you would on an actual cover, and placing a generic image/pattern that represents your publication beneath it. This should not look like your app icon or launch images.
31) NEW Top Branding Bar? If yes, please supply as PNG format, in the RGB color space, and at least 72 DPI. Click here to see where this image is used within the app.
You have 2 options: create a single, flat image that covers the whole bar area or provide a separate logo image and background image:
• Option 1 – whole bar: 2048×120 px
• Option 2 – logo + background: logo 2048×120 px (max) and background 2×160 px